John Della Rocca
Why It's Worth It to
Fight Your DUI Charge
If you’ve been charged with a DUI, you may feel like you’re alone. Unfortunately, DUI charges are becoming alarmingly more common. According to the Pennsylvania DUI Association, there were 9,811 alcohol-related crashes in 2018 alone. Getting charged with a DUI may feel like a life-crippling sentence, but it doesn’t have to be. Fighting that charge to get it reduced can be worth it in the long run. Regardless of whatever legal challenges you may be facing, it’s always important to remember that you have rights — and those rights need to be protected.
If you’ve been arrested and charged with a DUI, my firm, The Law Offices of John Della Rocca, is here to help. For over 25 years I’ve been proudly serving clients throughout Philadelphia and its many neighborhoods who are facing the harshest penalties related to DUI charges. I’m also proud to serve clients in Delaware County, Montgomery County, Bucks County, Chester County, and in New Jersey — so call or reach out to my office today to learn more about how I can help you with your case.
Possible DUI Penalties in Pennsylvania
There are many different penalties that you can face in Pennsylvania for a DUI conviction. Both felony and misdemeanor charges can result, depending on the circumstances of your case. The penalties one could face if convicted include, but are not limited to:
- License suspension
- Jail time
- Mandatory attendance at an alcohol highway safety school
- Alcohol use treatment if ordered
- Ignition interlock device installation
The severity of these penalties can vary, but having a DUI conviction on your record can follow you in a variety of other ways too. It can make it harder to find a job, make it difficult to secure housing, it may impact your child custody case, and your insurance premiums can increase. With so many potential consequences hanging in the balance, every single DUI charge is worth fighting.
Possible Defenses for a DUI Charge
There are a few defenses that you can utilize when it comes to contesting a DUI charge, and having an experienced attorney who understands how to fight DUI charges on your side can help you outline a strong defense. Some possible defenses for DUI charges are:
- The Testing Method Was Flawed - The field testing that many law enforcement officers use when you are pulled over for a possible DUI are tests that can be difficult to pass, even if you are not intoxicated. If you are tired, nervous, or do not have good hand-eye coordination, it can be difficult to pass these tests. Relying on field testing alone is not definitive proof of whether or not you were driving under the influence.
- The Officer Didn’t Follow Proper Procedure - There are procedures that an officer must follow when they stop you for a DUI charge. One of those procedures is a fifteen-minute waiting period. If an officer is impatient and does not observe that, it can alter things such as your blood-alcohol content level when you are tested. Not following proper procedures can call into question the entire DUI investigation.
- Falsely Inflated Blood Alcohol Content Levels - Mouth alcohols can lead to an inflated BAC level. Some medicines and even mouthwash can account for a higher blood alcohol content level when tested. This could serve as a plausible defense, especially if the officer did not wait the appropriate amount of time before administering the test.
How The Law Offices of John Della Rocca Can Help
If you're facing DUI charges, retaining an aggressive and highly-skilled Pennsylvania DUI defense attorney is crucial to protect your rights and ensure you are treated fairly by the justice system. Getting your charges and/or penalties reduced or the charges entirely dismissed can go a long way toward improving how this event impacts your life moving forward.
Here at my firm, The Law Offices of John Della Rocca, I am dedicated to providing experienced legal counsel and reliable representation to clients facing DUI charges. As your legal counsel, I can fight vigorously to defend your rights, offer strong legal representation, and outline an effective defense strategy that can maximize your chances of a favorable outcome. I’m also proud to serve clients throughout Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the surrounding areas of Delaware County, Montgomery County, and New Jersey. Call or reach out to my office today to schedule a free consultation.